Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Journal Entry: Wednesday, 7/20/2016

Day 4 of 15

Stats

13.0 miles (plus 4 miles to/from Fish Lake resupply)
1,244' elevation gain
7.5 hours hiking
2.27 hiking mph

Photos

Link to all photos from Day 4.

Journal Entry

italics = original journal text
regular = added during transcription

Rupa's Facebook. This was a reminder I wrote myself as I was leaving Fish Lake. Look up Rupa and her partner (Guitar Lady) on Facebook. She took down my blog info so hopefully she finds it!

2nd to leave camp this morning. No hot breakfast or coffee. Passed Rupa & Guitar Lady about 4 miles in.

Interesting terrain: Lava rox [sic] w/ small red rocks spread to make the trail. Was pretty uncomfortable to walk on, esp. w/ larger rocks mixed in. Good views of McLoghlin [sic]. Got caught by MacGyver @ mile 7. From Czech Rep, has to finish by Aug 15 (insane) to go back to work (From this point, that's 26 days to do 882 miles [34 miles/day]. Some people actually can and will perform feats like this. He's a thru-hiker so I believe he can). Sound (engineer) on a movie. He chatted almost the whole way to Hwy 140. 

We hiked (fast) together as I followed, listening to him tell me about life in the Czech Republic. I spur conversations about democracy and how their system is similar and different to ours. He enjoyed talking and I enjoyed listening for the 45 minutes it took to get to Hwy 140. We shook hands, then he headed north with vigor as I walked west along a two-lane highway towards Fish Lake.

Along the 1.5-mile road walk, I stuck my thumb out and tried to get a ride into Fish Lake, but nobody stopped. Highway walking is a particular form of mental torture. Because the roads are so straight, you can see the approaching sign/curve/intersection so far ahead.

I walked into the store are 1:00pm.

Gaz and Chzbrgr were @ Fish Lk when I arrived. I got the chili burger (open faced) which was pretty good. Beer selection was awful so I passed.

Picked up my box, then went to do laundry and shower. The shower was amazing. 10 mins of hot water for $4. My small hand towel was in the wash, so I dried off w/ a bunch of paper towels. Sorted thru box while waiting for dryer. Didn't need much of the toiletries/first aid stuff.

Once Laundry was done, went back to store to find Eric, Rupa, G Lady, & Irish. I had no service so I used Irish's phone to update my dad. He (Irish) got picked up, so I used G Lady's phone to call Ky which was much needed. They sound like they're having a good time @ Hume.

The others were taking a zero tomorrow, so I decided to hike out. Missy + kids showed up right b4 I left. Kids still in high spirits which is amazing after 1 week & 80 miles on trail.

Hiked the addt'l 2 miles back to the trail, ate dinner (mashed potatoes), the got water & left. Got about 3 more miles in before stopping. The woods were creepy and I felt like I'd see a bear @ any moment, so I was whistling along with the music to let any bears know that I was coming.

This was a common theme throughout the trip: I would inexplicably and sporadically get the feeling that I was about to see a bear or that I was being stalked by a cougar.

Lots of blowdowns, some so bad I almost lost the trail once.

Blister is still just ok. Not really holding me back tho.

Were some mosquitoes this evening while hiking. Got about 4 bites. Unfortunately the bugs were persistent and increasing in number for the next 7 days on trail.

Pitched the front of my tent ~6" higher tonight. I think that's how it was designed b/c the pitch was more taut and it's easier to get in & out. Only problem is that it brings the corners closer together; so my ground cloth is ~6" too long. I think I can shorten the elastic loops if I get the desire.

I went to sleep after this, only to be woken up by sounds outside my tent. This is the next entry, written later that night.

First sketch wildlife exp. 10:30pm: heard steps by my food bag, branches breaking (50' away). Clapped a little to see if I could hear it run away. It didn't. More steps, sounded closer. Clapped some more, then got out w/ headlamp to see what I was dealing w/. Immediately saw eyes 30' away and the shape of a... deer. I clapped and yelled some more just to make sure it saw me, then checked around before peeing and getting back into bed.

 Huge blowdown. Had to take my pack off to crawl under this one. Guitar Lady said she went over it...

Trail through lava fields.

 Mt. McLoughlin (9,499').

Road walk to Fish Lake. Unfortunately, the trail signs made for roads are much bigger. I could read this 1/4 mile sign from 1/2 mile away.

Fish Lake Resort.

Open faced chili cheese burger. 

 Sorting through resupply box while doing laundry.

Heading back to trail at about 4:00 pm. From left to right: Rupa (I apologize if this spelling is not right), Eric, Guitar Lady, 2 kids (not sure of their names) and Missy.

Instant mashed potatoes for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment