Saturday, August 6, 2016

Journal Entry: Monday, 7/18/2016

Day 2 of 15

Stats

15.8 miles (plus 2.0 other miles to/from Hyatt Lake snack shop)
2.235' elevation gain
7.0 hours hiking
2.54 hiking mph

Photos


Link to all photos from Day 2.

Journal Entry

italics = original journal text
regular = added during transcription

I started trying to list the names of hikers I met throughout the day before I forgot them.

Irish, Pillow Talk, Rafiki, The Breeze.

Most hikers who spend a significant time on a long trail acquire trail names. I sort-of just assigned myself "Spreadsheets" with Kylie's help. I'm glad I did, because most people on trail (section and thru hikers) go by their trail names. It was nice to have one from the start.

Hiked alone most of the day. Felt great until mile 5, left pinky toe started to blister. Applied tape, but not sure it helped. Removed tape @ mile 10, added Body GlideAn awesome anti chafing deodorant-like stick. Helped walking, but it still needs time. Already calused [sic] from training so hopefully that helps it heal?

Met Irish (actually Irish) @ mile  8, hiked into Hyatt Lake for a late lunch (hot dog, fries, salad with ranch). Wouldn't have been worth it w/ out the hitch back to the trail (1.5 mile road walk).

The food and company were refreshing, but I was dealing with a blister on my pinky toe which really didn't appreciate the extra 2+ miles of asphalt walking. Irish went ahead while I tended to my toe on the front porch of the snack shop. I walked out about 20 minutes later and happened to catch a ride with a guy who used to hitchhike himself. He also picked up Irish when we came upon him a few minutes later.

Met other 4 hikers right out of Hyatt (all thru). They crush miles and walk fast.

This was often the story when I encountered thru hikers. I would meet them only because one or both of us would be stopped (snacking, filtering water, etc.). We'd have a brief interaction, then they would just keep hiking off into the distance.

Pop Tarts this morning were almost unbearable (cherry). Not eating all my food but still eating quite a bit.

The nights/evenings alone are the lonliest [sic]. Boring too.


Foggy morning hiking.

First major road crossing, Hwy 66.

Rogue River valley below.

Irish filtering water.

Food came quick and was tasty.


Funny old advertising sign posted on the wall. Accommodations for the ladies while the men folk hunt.

Rainbow, night 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment