Saturday, August 6, 2016

Journal Entry: Sunday, 7/17/2016

Day 1 of 15

Stats

14.9 miles (plus 1.4 other miles due to limited road access)
3,670' elevation gain
5.5 hours hiking
2.96 hiking mph

Photos

Link to all photos from Day 1.

Journal Entry

italics = original journal text
regular = added during transcription

First paragraph of journal has been redacted because I had to hike on roads marked "NO TRESPASSING." It's an interesting story I'm willing to share in person.

After 7.1 miles of this road-walk, I got to the PCT itself.

Finally @ trail. Met Lance. Also started today headed to Cascade Locks.

I ended up seeing him at Crater Lake and Shelter Cove resupplies. He was always about a day ahead of me from this point on.

Camped @ (trail mile) 1728 near spring. Iron Lady + Delaware hiked past (saw at Callahan's).

I chatted with these 2 for about 15 minutes. They were the first thru-hikers (exclusive term for those attempting to hike the whole trail) I met. 

Feel ok, right hip sore throughout day. Super bored now.

I stopped at around 3:00 pm that day because I had already done my scheduled 15 miles and didn't want to overdo it on the first day. In general, there tended to be a lot of sitting around, waiting for it to get dark enough to sleep.

About an hour goes by when another hiker and his dog show up and set up camp near mine. I hang out by his tarp and we chat for the next couple of hours.

Met Ridiculous (trail name) while lying down in tent listening to The Hobbit. Very friendly and outgoing. Cute dog Pearl. It was awesome and well-timed.


 Happy to finally be on trail.

First few miles on the PCT proper. Nearing Pilot Rock.


Mt. McLoughlin (9,400') 30 miles to the North.

Looking back at Pilot Rock.


Climber on top.

Mt. Shasta (14,179') 50 miles to the South.

Camp, night 1.

 Sunset v1.


 Sunset v2.





No comments:

Post a Comment