Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Journal Entry: Friday, 7/22/2016

Day 6 of 15

Stats

22.4 miles (plus 2 other miles to Mazama Village resupply)
2,361' elevation gain
9.5 hours hiking
2.57 hiking mph

Photos

Link to all photos from Day 6.

Journal Entry

italics = original journal text
regular = added during transcription

Woke up @ 6am and felt rested. Had hot chocolate in bed, then packed quietly to avoid waking my (just paused to put earplugs in) neighbors. On trail by 6:30 and quickly did the 2 miles to the creek. 20 mile dry strech to Mazama Village. Wasn't sure if I'd make it all the way (that day) so I left w/ 3.5 L after chugging about 1.5. Leapfrogged with the Swiss couple until lunchtime. The middle of the [day] was long. The first 8 after water took a while. Then next thing I knew I came upon Blowout resting. His foot is injured, some sort of sore on the bottom. We hiked together the remaining 8 miles to Mazama. Got a little lost on Annie Casey trail. The hardest trail navigation was typically the final few miles into resupplies and rejoining with the PCT when leaving resupplies. The trails were often confusing and less developed than the PCT.

Ate dinner w/ blowout & Irish showed up too. He was surprised @ my increased mileage. Also saw Lance in the restaurant who got here yesterday & zeroed today! Salad bar & burger were good. Sorted through my box quickly & then showered quickly in a just-hot-enough pay shower. Called my parents from a pay phone then found out my phone was placing calls via wifi so I called Ky. Earlier in the day, the wifi was too overloaded so there wasn't enough bandwidth to place calls. We talked until it was almost dark and decided to meet a day early since I'm a day ahead.

Walked to the hiker campsite where there were about 20 people. Set up my tent further away than most and was glad later. Hung around the fire for about 30 minutes until I couldn't stand the immature humor of drunk hikers. The group was loud and I felt bad for the surrounding campsites, but glad for my new earplugs which I have now :) 11:40pm, latest night by 3 hrs.

Sunrise, day 6. 

Camp.

 More bad blowdowns.

 Hiking through another burn area.

Entering Crater Lake National Park. Blowout ahead.

Irish at his best!

No comments:

Post a Comment