Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Journal Entry: Monday, 7/25/2016

Day 9 of 15

Stats

17.2 miles (plus 0.8 other miles to/from water source)
2,013' elevation gain
7.5 hours hiking
2.40 hiking mph

Photos

Link to all photos from day 9.

Journal Entry

italics = original journal text
regular = added during transcription

I took pictures this day for a day-in-the-life post. They can be found in a separate post found here.

More bugs last night and this morning. Had to set up & break camp in rain gear.

17 miles (+0.8) went by pretty quick. I think I'm getting better at letting the time pass, as opposed to monitoring the clock.

Met 6 SoBos (southbounders) at Six Horse spring today. None did WA. The snow was still too bad in most of the state for their early July start.

I have 2 options for the next 2 days: 11 + 11 miles or 18 + 5 miles. The first option puts me at Crescent Lake tomorrow, which the SoBos said was a nice place to camp. 2nd option puts me at Diamond View Lake, which is less established but supposed to be pretty. Leaning towards Crescent Lk since there is a campground there. May be car camper willing to feed me :) I had this far fetched idea that every passerby would recognize as me a PCT hiker and excitedly take me in for hot dogs and s'mores. This never actually happened (to me). It also puts me at Shelter Cove later in the day Wed, which is nice since Ky won't be there til the evening. Heard from the SoBos that S. Cove only has hot dogs and frozen pizza. I'll still probably mash.

Took a nap today in an effort to slow the day down. It didn't help starting the day at 7:30am. I'm gonna try and sleep in tomorrow and not start hiking until at least 9.

I think today was the first day I actually ate all my calories. Only had ramen for dinner, but I snacked a lot and ate a lot of PB.


Awful blowdown.

 
Interesting section of trail.

High point on the official PCT in Oregon/Washington.


No comments:

Post a Comment