Sunday, August 14, 2016

Journal Entry: Tuesday, 7/26/2016

Day 10 of 15

Stats

11.9 miles (plus 0.8 other miles to Crescent Lake campground)
About 500' elevation gain
4.75 hours hiking
2.67 hiking mph

Photos

Link to all photos from day 10.

Journal Entry

italics = original journal text
regular = added during transcription

Got started around 9 this morning. Heard some noises at around 4am but didn't see anything when I got out to investigate.


After about an hour, I got to FR-60 (junction to OST alternate). There was a group of about 12 Boy Scouts making their final preps for a 5-day 50 mile stretch south to Crater Lake boundary. I stopped to watch for 30 mins or so. The juxtaposition was amusing, so I sat down for breakfast. I chatted with the adults as the kids did group stretches and collected their heavy packs.

One of the mothers asked how long I'd been hiking (10 days). I think she then realized that the stench she was smelling was coming from me, because she kept her distance after that.

A leader asked me about trail conditions to the south. I was happy to report few blowdowns and great views of Mt. Thielsen; I warned them of the mosquitoes and long water carries (15+ miles). 

The OST trail has been creepy and bland. I didn't even stop for water at any of the lakes b/c I was ready to be done and I had enough to make it to Shelter Cove (I actually meant Crescent Lake). I also had the feeling I was being stalked by a cougar the whole time, which was unsettling. I saw a fresh print in the sand I thought was a cougar, but turns out was a coyote (I looked it up later in the day).

The lakes through this area looked quite beautiful, considering their surroundings. The area was burned recently and few trees had grown back any green. The blue of the small lakes were abruptly bordered by dead, white tree trunks.

The trail was sandy and worn from horses, which was annoying. It was harder on my feet and also made it feel like I was working harder.

I didn't see a single person the whole time after the Boy Scout troop (10 miles). 

I got a little lost on the way into Crescent Lk and ended up road walking in after I bush whacked to road.

I got here (Crescent Lake) around 2:00, so I ate mac & cheese on the beach, then went for a swim. It was nice to be able to rinse off all the dirt sweat, and bug spray. Chatted with a group of friendly older folks in the hopes of getting an invite to dinner with no such luck.

I was still consumed by the thought of a friendly, fellow outdoorsperson offering me hot dogs and beer.

After finding the tent only sites, I sat down at the picnic table and started brainstorming ways to pass the time. Still hoping a nice passerby will notice me and offer me dinner, company, etc... At least there are no mosquitoes! With all this free time, my mind really started to wander. 


 Interesting trail through burn area.

 Boy Scouts at Forest Road 60.

Leaving the PCT and starting the Oregon Skyline Trail alternate.

Coyote print.

Creepy trail.

Early dinner on the beach. Lakeview Mountain (7,066') 5 miles to the north.

 Drying off after rinsing off in the lake.

Relaxing in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment