Friday, July 19, 2019

Journal Entry: Tuesday, 7/2/2019

Day 5 of 10

Stats

16.0 miles
1,670' elevation gain
6.0 hours hiking

Photos

Link to all photos and videos from day 5.

Journal Entry

italics = original journal text
regular = added during transcription

Maroon Bells leap of faith (reminder to watch this YouTube video). [insane climbing footage]

Back on trail after a wonderful zero day. After getting into camp around 9:15[pm on Sunday], Kylie and I caught up as I wound down from the high of my day. We spent the next day mostly in our tent taking refuge from the constant mosquitoes and sporadic rain - a surprisingly enjoyable time. 

This morning, we set out for Ollalie Meadow Trailhead, the start of my next segment. Another goodbye and I was off. The trail is definitely more populated now that we are north of the last snow-affected section in Oregon (Mt. Jefferson) - I saw a total of 11 hikers, all of which are either thru hiking (via jumping around to snow free areas) or doing sections of Oregon like me. Eight of us are camped in the vicinity of Warm Springs River.


Trying my best to organize my resupply, unpack, swap packs, and re-pack all in the back of Kylie's Crosstrek. The mosquitoes were too bad to be outside.


Hiking with Baba (Czech for Grandma) and Payday, thru hikers I leapfrogged with for the next 6 days to Cascade Locks.


Debuting my DIY pack! Spoiler alert: It lasted the remaining 100 miles just fine :)


More trees please.

No comments:

Post a Comment