Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Journal Entry: Thursday, 6/27/2019

Day 1 of 11

Stats

20.3 miles
3,370' elevation gain
7.25 hours hiking

Photos

Link to all photos and videos from day 1.

Journal Entry

italics = original journal text
regular = added during transcription

Saying goodbye was easier this time, but not easy. The weather held up most of the day despite us getting rained on all night at Shelter Cove. My flimsy umbrella held up to 4 or 5 deployments today. The rain was light, but it's already been worth having it. 

The day went by quite fast considering the mileage. I started hiking at 8:00 and was eating dinner in camp by 4:30. After leapfrogging throughout the day, another hiker and I arrived at  and set up camp together. [J]eff is a high school math teacher from Eugene who is hiking from Willamette Pass to Hwy 20 (almost the same route as my first of 3 stints). He is planning on 7 days compared to my 5, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing each other.

A heavy rain started in earnest around 6:00, right as [J]eff was retiring to his tent for bed. I quickly gathered my things and followed suit. Another 20 miles are on the docket tomorrow -- I have to make up time to allow for a slower day or two thru There Sisters so I may try for more if I'm feeling well.




 Happy to be back on the PCT.


I LOL'd.


An unexpectedly cool trash pickup.


Camp, night 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment