Friday, July 19, 2019

Journal Entry: Thursday, 7/4/2019

Day 7 of 10

Stats

14.8 miles
3,696' elevation gain
7.0 hours hiking

Photos

Link to all photos and videos from day 7.

Journal Entry

italics = original journal text
regular = added during transcription

I made it to Timberline Lodge! It's a long and sandy slog made 100% worth it by seeing Kylie and then starting back off with Geoff and Ivan. I gorged myself at the lunch buffet, reloaded my pack with fresh food, fuel, and water and then the three of us set off. 

There are a lot of people out and about, a sure symptom of the July 4th holiday.

After our luncheon rendezvous, Ivan, Geoff, and I set off fom the ski slopes of Timberline Lodge around 2:00pm. During my 3 miles in and 3 miles out of here, I saw as many hikers as I did in the past 6 days/125 miles. A fun(ny) mix of long-distance hikers, backpackers, day hikers, and strollers (not the baby stroller kind; like one who is out for a short stroll from the car).

Our goal for the evening was Paradise Park, a grassy alpine meadow high on a more accessible slope of Wy'east. Because of its idyllic locale and open view toward the Willamette Valley, I knew the fireworks views of July 4th would make it a popular destination for others. Among the 5 or 6 other groups, we found a spot near the trail with room for 2 flat-ish-ish pitches.

Ivan made his first of 3 home run hiking dinners: Frito Pie (dehydrated beans, rice, taco seasoning, Fritos). My hiker hunger was increasing, so even after the heavy dose of lunch buffet I was ecstatic for a new dinner. Once the sun finally went down we saw 30+ tiny fireworks shows from the valley below.


An awesome 3D carved topographic sign.

Enjoying the weather and excited for company.

Hello, Wy'east :) Waiting for my lunch crew to arrive.

Last 50 miles, here we go! ZigZag Canyon in the background.

Paradise approaching.

Camp, night 7.

Oh yumm.

Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment