Thursday, November 5, 2015

11/5/2015: Priorities

At this point in the planning stage (Christmas approaching...), it is important that I shore up my priorities for new/needed gear. As mentioned before, I am searching for the items which give the greatest weight savings per dollar spent. Below is a link to the list (in spreadsheet form, obvi) showing the finalized new gear list. 

SPREADSHEET LINK

Priority is based on cost per ounce saved, ounces saved, pack volume saved, and necessity. By reducing pack volume, I am able to carry a smaller (and lighter) pack, therefore reducing weight. Items that save significant amounts of both weight and volume (like the shelter and sleeping bag) have been placed higher on the list. Items 1 thru 6 on the list are what I've deemed prerequisites; that is, gear that may or may not not save weight but are still necessary for the trip. These include things like a point-and-shoot camera and a sit pad, which add weight but are still something I want to carry.

Items 7 & 8: Immediately following the prerequisites is a new water filtration system, which consists of the filter itself (Sawyer Mini) and a water storage bag (Evernew 2 liter). Together, these 2 items cost only $36 and save 1 lb 3 oz (1.9 $/oz). They replace a heavier pump-style water filter and 1 liter Nalgene bottle.

Item 9: The next piece of gear is a new shelter; the ProTrail from TarpTent. My current shelter is a two-person REI Camp Dome (5 lb 1 oz, incl. tent body, fly, poles, stakes, and lightweight polycro ground sheet). The ProTrail is a lightweight, tarp-style, single-person shelter that relies on hiking poles to pitch. Consisting of little more than a tarp and shallow bathtub-like bug net/floor, its total weight (incl. tent, stakes, and polycro ground sheet) is only 1 lb 11 oz (3 lb 2 oz saved, 4.2 $/oz).

Item 10: At 6.0 $/oz, an Enlightened Equipment Enigma top quilt in place of my mummy sleeping bag saves almost 5 liters of pack space along with 2 lb 4 oz.

Item 11: A pair of Ultralight Rain Pants from AntiGravity Gear would replace my zipoff style hiking pants and save 10 oz at 5.5 $/oz.

Item 12: Next is a new cookpot. Moving from a nonstick-coated pot to an un-coated titanium one is made possible by the fact that I won't be doing any cooking of food directly in the pot; I'll only be boiling water for dehydrated meals (food tends to stick to titanium pots). In addition, the most water I'll need to boil at a time is 2 cups (16 fl oz, 475 mL). At 1.8 L (61 fl oz), my current pot is oversized. Switching to a SnowPeak Trek 700 will save 5.3 oz for only 7.3 $/oz.

Item 13: While the weights of some categories like toiletries and food can be minimized cheaply by simple research and diligence (and spreadsheets), the insulating clothing layer tends to be one where the only weigh way to save weight is to spend money. Even still, a new (goose) down jacket from MontBell (5.6 oz) would replace my (synthetic) down hooded jacket from Columbia (22.5 oz) at a cost of just 9.6 $/oz. In addition to being more lightweight than synthetic down, goose down is more compressible. This allows me to reduce my pack volume and weight even further.

Item 14: Hanging one's food isn't a legal requirement on the Oregon section of the PCT, but sometimes it will be necessary. For example, mice and ants are fairly common on the trail. The former have been known to chew their way through tents and food bags in search of tasty treats. Because of this, a simple method (meaning not necessarily bear proof like in the Sierra Nevadas) of hanging food is desired. The PCT hang is both simple and quick, requiring minimal gear. ZPacks sells a Bear Bag Kit, which consists of a durable (but lightweight) food bag (1.4 oz), 50' of lightweight cordage (1.4 oz), a rock sack (0.1 oz), and a small carabiner (0.1 oz). These 4 items would save 4.4 oz at 10.3 $/oz.

Item 15: The main way to save weight on my sleeping pad is to switch to a closed cell foam (CCF) pad, as opposed to an inflatable mattress. The downside to CCF pads is that they are (for me) terribly uncomfortable. The other way to save weight is to shrink the size of the pad. By switching to a pad that only extends from my head to upper thighs, I can shed about 1/3 of the weight and still maintain a comfortable sleep system. My empty backpack would typically serve as the remaining terminus of the mattress, resting under my feet and lower legs to provide insulation and comfort. A Thermarest NeoAir XLite (short length, 8.0 oz) would replace my REI Flash (regular length, 16.5 oz) at 15.3 $/oz.

All items listed are also on my PCT Pinterest board.

No comments:

Post a Comment