Monday, September 14, 2015

08/27/15: Partner

I talked with Kylie about general info and logistics last night, and it helped me to verbalize feelings I was having about the hike. Until tonight, it was mainly just me and my spreadsheets. Her main questions were


  1. Why solo?
  2. How is cell service?
  3. Can we meet up for sections of hiking?


For me, the issue of thru-hiking solo is mostly a matter of practicality. It is virtually impossible for 2 hikers to be on the same schedule. One may need a rest day to recover from blisters while the other is ready for a long day. One may want to stop for dinner at 6:00 and continue hiking into the night while the other doesn't want to eat until 8:00 and be done for the day. In addition to the practical reasons, I believe I would get more from the hike (spiritually and emotionally) by myself. The thought of being completely free to decide where, when, and how I hike, camp, eat is appealing to me. Obviously, there are safety concerns, but between my research, planning, and loved ones willing to help, I know we can make it safe.


It appears as though cell service is quite good along the trail. At a minimum, I'm expecting to be able to make calls and emails at all 4 resupplies. Here are the grades given to the 4 resupplies according to PCTA’s cell service report: Mazama Village (A), Shelter Cove Resort (A/B), BLYC (B), Timberline Lodge (B), Cascade Locks (A). Service is actually pretty decent along the trail, with a grade of at least B coming every 50 miles or so. The other good thing about the PCT is that it will be relatively busy at that time of year. I'll likely be starting my hike within the window of full-trail PCT hikers arriving in Oregon (late June to late July), so I'll be getting passed by a number of hikers daily.


I do hope I can meet up with Kylie and Geoff for short sections of the hike, perhaps for a weekend or 2. I think I would enjoy the change of pace and company. The main hurdle is logistics. They would need to shuttle 2 cars or take public transit on the way down and/or back. I looked into good spots for making this happen and have yet to come up with any good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment