Sunday, August 30, 2015

08/25/15: Three

Warbonnet Mamajamba tarp

The Big Three - shelter, sleep system, backpack. These 3 categories hold the greatest potential weight savings. Using only gear I currently have, my shelter (dome tent, tarp, ground sheet) is 5.5 lbs, my sleep system (sleeping bag, sleeping pad) is 4.5 lbs, and my backpack (62L, internal frame) is 3.0 lbs for a total of 13.0 lbs. Upgrading my shelter system could save 47.9 oz, changing from a mummy bag to a lightweight quilt would yield 35.5 oz, and downsizing my backpack might shed another 19.4 oz. A total savings of 6.5 lbs for $530 ($5.10 per oz saved) is a good investment. For comparison, spending $200 to replace my down jacket would save 1 lb, which costs $12 per oz saved (more than double the relative cost of replacing the big three).

My new shelter would consist of my existing tarp (Warbonnet Mamajamba, 18 oz), a Tyvek ground sheet (36 square feet, 7.6 oz), and a new bug shelter (BearPaw Minimalist 2, 15.0 oz, $135). I debated heavily about whether or not to include a full bugnet like the Minimalist 2 in my shelter system. With just a sleeping bag and headnet, I'd be protected from getting bit while sleeping. However, if mosquitoes are heavy where I'll be camping, it would be nice to have a "safe zone" that is big enough to hang out and sit up in. Also, an enclosed bug tent with bathtub floor will keep any crawly bugs at bay (red ants are fairly common on the Oregon stretch). BearPaw also has a single person bug shelter (Minimalist 1, 9.0 oz, $100) which would save another 6.0 oz and $35. Yet the extra space inside the 2-person shelter will be psychologically rewarding and will also allow me to keep all my gear in a bug-free zone. The Tyvek ground sheet will protect the floor of the bug shelter and will also give me a dry place to sleep when the bug net is not needed. I've been using the Mamajamba tarp for a couple years now, both for ground and hammock camping. It pitches very tight and has tons of room underneath it. My only concern is that I won't be able to pitch it high enough to clear the bug shelter using only hiking poles. If it does turn out to be a problem, an easy fix is to tie off to a tree for the high side of the tarp (head end) and use a hiking pole for the low side (foot end).


My current sleep system is a sleeping bag (Ledge Sports Featherlight +20°F mummy bag, 48.4 oz) and an inflatable pad (REI Flash, 16.5 oz). For a reasonable cost, I can save over 2 pounds by switching to an ultralight quilt (Enlightened Enigma 40°F, 12.9 oz, $195). I will use my existing sleeping pad since it's about as light as is available for a full length inflatable pad and is also super comfy. There's about 8 oz to be saved by switching to a foam pad, but as a side sleeper, sleeping for a month straight on a foam pad sounds absolutely terrible.


My backpack (REI Flash 62, 49.4 oz) is considered lightweight in traditional backpacking terms, but there are numerous 60+ liter packs available which offer significant weight-saving potential. I'm also somewhat concerned about the durability of the REI Flash, though I have no evidence to support that sentiment. Regardless, the ULA Ohm 2.0 (29.2 oz, $200) is a tried and true PCT backpack and ULA packs are perhaps the most common on the trail. While there are lighter options, they are somewhat less known brands and tend to be a bit “too light” (I never thought I'd say that). They have less substantial shoulder and hip padding and fewer features that I have deemed necessary (load lifter straps, frame structure, hip belt pockets).


With these new big three items, my base drops to a respectable 17.8 lbs. The longest leg between resupply points is 106.4 miles at a 20 mile/day pace, so the heaviest load I'll carry will be with 5 days of consumables which adds 14.8 lbs (9.8 lbs food, 4.3 lbs water, 11 oz misc/other) for a total maximum pack weight of just 32.5 lbs. Of course, this will rapidly decrease at a rate of almost 3.0 lbs/day, leaving myself with a sub 20 lb pack towards the end of my resupply legs.

2 comments:

  1. Hey that looks like Alabama Hills!! What are you doing for footwear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is A Hills! Going to the running store Alyson Hunt (Drake now) works at this weekend to check out trail runners.

      Delete