Sunday, July 14, 2019

Journal Entry: Sunday, 6/30/2019

Day 4 of 11

Stats

26.2 miles
3,112' elevation gain
11.5 hours hiking

Photos

Link to all photos and videos from day 4.

Journal Entry

italics = original journal text
regular = added during transcription

What an exciting and event-filled day yet again! Once again, Lauren, Jerry, and I departed for another segment of snow travel - 10 miles today. Having traversed 8 miles thru unknown territory yesterday, I felt confident we would succeed.

We learned that snow is much better to walk on in the morning (less slushy, more solid). We learned that Obsidian Spring has the most amazing rocks and, more importantly, the most amazing water. We learned that politics in Australia is not that different than it is here. And we learned that we were all grateful for having each others’ company the previous 24 hours.

After 22 miles together, I felt (somewhat) embarrassingly bonded to them. But having completed their loop around Three Sisters (an impressive feat considering the conditions), they parted way and I decided I would try to push all the way to Big Lake and arrive at camp tonight instead of tomorrow morning. Borrowing half a liter of water before they left, I made and scarfed 2 packs of ramen for dinner and set off.

Doing the math: I had only done 12.5 miles yet it was already 4:00pm - being on the west side of the Cascade Crest, I figured I had until 9:00pm until sundown - that left 14.5 miles in 5 hours. It was faster than I normally hike but I knew it was feasible if I took very (very) few breaks - just keep moving. If I wasn't going to make it, there were two potential places to camp - one 4.0 miles and the other 2.0 miles from Big Lake.

What I hadn't planned on: 4 miles of lava fields and two 800' climbs. I took them in stride, letting my excitement at having surpassed the crux of the hike (Three Sisters snow adventure) take over. I danced (aka fist pumps on repeat) and sang my way down the trail to Boston (thanks for the recent reminder, Dad). Aside from 5 day-hikers in the few miles near Highway 242, I saw no one for 3 hours and 9 miles - I felt as if I had Mt. Washington Wilderness all to myself! 

To see if I could keep pace thru the lava fields and climbs, I checked my watch hourly. I allowed myself a smidge of leeway for being slow on the first half - the second was all downhill and all on dirt trail. As expected, I was a little behind the 3.0 MPH goal after the first 2 hours. Feeling beat down from the lava trail and first climb, I set my timer for 5 minutes and stopped to stretch. My ankles were quite unhappy with the marble-to-softball-sized rocks of which the trail tread was composed but otherwise I felt fine. My ramen bomb was wearing off already, so as I continued walking I refueled with a Milky Way and Clif Block gummies (the ones with caffeine!). 

The following 10 miles were delightfully uneventful - that is to say expectedly moderately challenging with some nice views of Mt. Washington. Indeed, I successfully made it to camp at 9:15pm right as the sun finished its beautiful set, surprising Kylie and Sheriff both.

Snow for 1/2 mile sections at a time.


OMG snuh.

A steep traverse where I was happy to have micro-spikes and an ice axe.

Resting in the sun. Photo credit: Lauren.

R to L: Seekseekqua (10,497'), Three Fingered Jack (7,844'), Mt. Washington (7,677', my destination for the night).

Mt. Washington getting closer.

Beargrass!

I made it! One day early makes 92 miles in 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment